Useful References

If your loved one is experiencing any symptoms outlined in this website then they should be strongly encouraged to contact their GP for a referral to a mental health practitioner.

Other useful references:

Psychological and Counselling Assistance

Professional counselling can be sought and coordinated through your treating GP. To make treatment more affordable, some Psychologists are registered under Medicare arrangements under the Australian Government’s Better Access to Mental Health Care Initiative.  To be eligible for a rebate certain conditions need to be met.  If eligible, you may qualify for up to 10 individual sessions in a calendar year with a review taken after six (6) sessions.  Fees vary – some psychologists may bulk bill or you may have to pay a small difference between the rebate and the psychological fees.  Your GP will be able to assist you with this information.  Information is also available on the Australian Psychological Society website


Australian Psychological Society (APS)

If you are seeking the name of a Psychologist in your area, contact the referral line at the Australian Psychological Society (APS) who will put you in contact with a qualified Psychologist close to your work or home.  Contact the APS on 1800 333 497 or via their website


NSW Police Force Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

The NSW Police Force offers free counselling sessions to families through their Employee Assistance Program.  Police employees are entitled to six (6) sessions over a two (2) year period and family members are entitled to three (3) sessions over a two (2) year period.  Extensions may be granted depending on the individual circumstances.  Police employees can access the service up to six (6) months after leaving the NSW Police Force.  Contact EAP on 1300 667 197. 


Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue is a national government initiative established to increase the capacity to deal with anxiety and depression and how these conditions can be treated.  This has a number of online e-learning programs to look at symptoms for diagnosis.  It also contains a register of Clinical Psychologists matched to an area of your interest.


Information Line: 1300 224 636



Black Dog Institute

The Black Dog Institute offers educational and research information as well as a number of online computer based assessment and treatment tools for use.  This institute also has a Medicare rebated treatment clinic for Depression.  For further enquiries contact the Clinic Secretary on (02) 9382 2991 or find further information on their website


SANE Australia

This website offers facts sheets and podcasts on mental health conditions.  You can visit their website or for crisis assistance, phone the helpline on 1800 18 SANE (7263). 


Relationships Australia

Relationships Australia is a not for profit organisation that offers counselling and education services for couples and individuals.  Telephone and online counselling is available.  This is a fee paying service.  For further details contact Relationship Australia on 1300 364 277 or find further information on their website


Family and Relationships Services Australia

Family and Relationships Services Australia is the national peak body for family relationship and support services.  Their Advice Line is available by phoning 1800 050 321 or find further information on their website


Domestic Violence Line

The Domestic Violence Line is a state wide free counselling, information and referral service that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on matters concerning domestic violence.  It is staffed with female counsellors and also provides interpreter services, where required.  Their toll free contact number is 1800 656 463.  Their website also contains a number of other helpful contacts and links to 'parents, carers & families'.  

There are also crisis telephone counselling services such as:

  • Lifeline – phone 13 11 14
  • Salvation Army Hope Line – phone 1300 467 354
  • Crisis Support Services:                

Suicide Call back service – phone: 1300 659 467                

Beyond Blue Information Line – phone: 1300 224 636

Importantly, for any emergencies or threats of self harm phone Emergency 000. 


WorkCover Authority of NSW

WorkCover offers free counselling of up to 10 hours (initial grant) for immediate family members, including children, of injured workers who have what is deemed to be a serious injury and in cases that WorkCover are prosecuting for that workplace injury.  Counselling can be arranged through the Coordinator, Counselling and Liaison, WorkCover – phone: 1800 806 626.  Counselling is available to families at any point in the injured worker’s recovery process.

WorkCover have also developed a number of brochures to assist injured workers understand the workers compensation process.  These brochures can be accessed by visiting the WorkCover NSW website or by phoning 13 10 50.

  • Fact Sheet 2 – Injury Management and Return-to-Work programs
  • Fact Sheet 3 - What to do if there is an injury
  • Workers Compensation information for workers
  • Your recovery and return to work after a workplace injury 
  • Doctors and WorkCover: your nominated treating Doctor. 


Workers Health Centre

The Police Association is now affiliated with the Workers Health Centre. The Workers Health Centre is a union backed organization that looks after the Rehabilitaton and Return to Work of workers into the workplace. The centre's focus is on the worker (not the employer) and they have had great success. Workers Health Centre brochure


The Police Association of NSW (PANSW)

Ph:  (02) 9265 6777 or en 57160

Fax:  (02) 9265 6789


The PANSW has information booklets which provide an overview of all workers compensation aspects for Pre and Post 88 police officers.  


Useful Readings

Kirschman, Ellen.  (2007) I Love a CopWhat police families need to know.  New York: The Guilford Press.